Tuesday, September 8, 2009

HUNTING FOR SAPPHIRES

Seeings as this is my favorite stone, I thought I would do a little research and see where I might go hunting for this precious find and share it with you.

If you are a West Coaster it seems that one great place that one can go to try their hand at digging is in the big sky country - Helena, Montana right on the banks of Hauser Lake as the Missouri River flows. The place to check out is Spokane Bar Sapphire Mine. They are open year around (but I'm thinking digging through the ice in the cold would not be my first choice). Check out the rates, supplies needed and the whatevers at

If you are an East Coaster Franklin, North Carolina is a good place to go. Check out The Sheffield Mine, they say that you can pretty much be assured that you'll go home with a stone of some size. You may find a sapphire or maybe even a ruby. Sapphires and rubies are both variations of corundum and this is what is found digging in their dirt. They are open April 1st through October 31st. For more info check them out at

Of course there are other mining areas one can choose from - like if you'd like to take a trip to Australia, but these are two that I think are worth checking out. Happy digging to all!

Check out my jewelry pieces associated with this months birthstone.
http://www.mywireworks.com/sapphire.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker